Housebound in March!!!



What a weird time in life. I guess we can use this time as a reset. Thinking about how we go about living. Sometimes I want to just sleep til it all passes. Sometimes I just want to read...tune out. We are watching all of the Harry Potter movies! Sewing is good. I am actually finishing a few things.

Enough. 

I have a friend, Beverly Smith. We sew together in a group once a month and we take turns hosting. Last month we met at Beverly's beautiful home. I have never known anyone who decorates for every holiday as wonderfully as Bev. I asked her to answer a few questions so we could know her better and I took a Lot of pictures to share. My pictures are not nearly as good as her decorating.

When did you start Quilting?
When I was 14, a friend of the family was a quilter, that is when I knew I wanted to learn quilting someday.

About 40 years ago I took a beginning quilting class at a local quilt store. Learning to cut out shapes, making blocks and finishing a quilt. My first quilts were baby quilts. 
In 2002 I was visiting The Quilting B and joined a sewing group that met once a week. This is when I really got inspired. I wanted to explore different quilting techniques: applique, paper piece, machine quilting and so on. Civil War fabric was making a come back. I loved the colors and designs and all the wonderful primitive and historical patterns. 
Have you had a special teacher?
While attending the weekly sewing group I met Nancy Friesen. She taught me how to applique and introduced me to many new designers such as Jo Morton, Cheri Payne, Blackbird design, Kindred Spirit, Needle Love and many more. Nancy was a prolific quilter and love to teach new sewing techniques. She was always up on the latest fabrics, designers, books and patterns.
What part is your favorite part of the process?
My favorite part of quilting is having wonderful friends who share same interest. We gather together once a month. Catching up on our latest projects and life. Sharing inspiration, latest patterns and new ideas.  
Over the past almost 25 years I have collected many lovely books and patterns. I display many of my quilts around my home that depict a theme or holiday.

Is there a quilt you'd love to try?
I have always loved antique album quilts. They tell a story of history or a family or times gone by. If I get inspired and ambitious someday I would like to make a family album quilt.


Now for some pictures







These are just a few pictures of her sewing room. I get so caught up looking at all the inspiration that I don't get much sewing done.




This is Bev. It was a sunny day when we were together and this is on her back patio. 











And these are just a few. She does beautiful applique, hand piecing, hand quilting, paper piecing and much more.

She is a delight and a good cook besides everything else!  And best of all....a good friend.

I thought you might like to meet her.

++++++++++++++++++++

I hope you are well and finding things to keep you busy.
I believe this will all end and we will pick up our pieces and get going again.

I believe God has ultimate control, I don't understand many things...but I believe even when I don't believe. I pray that we will come out stronger and closer to those we hold dear.
Each day is a chance to treasure the moments, even boring ones!

I would enjoy hearing from you and knowing how you are keeping busy. 

I will be happy when I can schedule classes again. I miss you.

Betty












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite time of the year!

Camping in the Rain

Coming out of hibernation